January 5, 2013 by myfabfico
My inaugural post. drumroll?
Somewhere along the line I managed to become pretty good and pretty bad with money. I’m frugal as hell, but manage to end up broke more than I’d like to. I’m always wondering how in the hell am I here again. After close consideration and scrutiny. I’ve narrowed it down to a few factors.
#1: I’m an impulse buyer Somehow I can walk into target planning to buy cat food and socks and walk out with $95 worth of merchandise. A sale is considered an emergency in my book.
#2: I do not live on a budget I’ve made up every excuse why a budget wont work. I’ve gotten to a point now though where I’ve been at the same job for about 2 1/2 years, it is time.
#3: I’m still living like my life is unstable Prior to moving to NYC in 2008 I have lived in 4 other cities within a 3 years time span. Couple that with being laid off from my job in 2008 and moving to NYC working as a consultant and collecting unemployment. But as I said in the previous post, I’ve now been stably employed for over two years.
#4: I am more concerned with my image and others perception of me than I would like. Despite being pretty well dressed, gainfully employed, and fairly accomplished, I’m not allowing myself to feel satisfied.
So here are my goals:
- I want to have a 750 credit score of higher by the time I am 30 (June 3, 2014)
- I want to live within a budget
- I want to pay off my remaining debts by the end of graduate school (December 2013)
- I want to rid myself of my impulse buying habits.
- I want to have a real savings account that I don’t raid for sample sales and other falso emergnecies
- I want to have more money left at the end of my month as opposed to more month left at the end of my money.
To accomplish these goals I am coming up with specific paramaters for myself. These will most likely be the next post. I don’t want to be too generous, but I dont want to be so strict on myself that I revolt. I know that I personally cannot go from shopping 3 days a week to not shopping for a year.
Was changing your shopping habits one of your new years resolutions? Or have you had to adjust your habits to accomplish your financial goals?